Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Linkorama

I don't link to nearly enough CCHA stuff here, mainly because it isn't as easily accessible as WCHA info, and that's a real shame, because there's some good stuff out there, like the fact that Notre Dame's Kevin Deeth has a cowboy hat signed by Gretchen Wilson.

Michigan State goalie Jeff Lerg was named Michigan's Best by the Detroit Free Press.

No real surprises on the first full day of Minnesota HS sectionals. The closest thing to an upset was two 9 seeds beating 8 seeds. 7th seed Andover put a scare into 2nd seed Anoka in Section 5AA, but Anoka scored late in the game for a 2-1 win. One of the best games of the evening was in 8AA, when Buffalo defeated St. Cloud Tech 7-6 in double overtime.

ISS has their February NHL Draft Rankings. Ness-23rd, Gardiner-25th, Toews-26th, Colborne-27th.

Article on Minnesota State recruit goalie Kevin Murdock. He says about all you need to know about life in Nebraska:
“I was meeting people at the airport when I got here. I met coach’s wife, and she asked me where I was from. Bradenton (Florida). She’s like, ‘Tommie Frazier’s from Bradenton.’ My dad had to explain to me later that he’s like a God here.”
Hockey's Future discusses Anaheim's NCAA prospects.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lerg was neither 1st team, nor 2nd team, nor honorable mention all-CCHA last year, and yet has won multiple MAJOR awards, including some post-NCAA tournament national player of the year awards, and now this Best of Michigan thing. I guess a four game hot streak at the right time really can make up for anything.

Anonymous said...

The Best of Michigan thing was a Free Press reader vote. It was NOT given to him by the Free Press itself. And if you go the FP website and read the full article, you can see that plenty of MSU hockey fans voted. I mean, come on, Jeff Petry finished 4th in the vote. Get real. And Abdelkader finished 10th in the vote. Here's the link. Top 20 results are on the bottom right column.

Anonymous said...

I wonder why the scouting service has high school players listed ahead of usa ushl players? I guess its hard to scout players that are playing against college teams and winning a few of them. sometimes 4-5 years older. WOW its high school hockey....14-15-16 year olds get real