Wednesday, May 23, 2007

OHL Watch

There was a bit of concern in Ann Arbor when the Sarnia Sting drafted Michigan recruit Kevin Quick in the OHL draft, and then drafted his younger brother Kyle with the following pick. There were rumors that the two would want to play together and would sign with Sarnia.

Kevin Quick eased those concerns by making his Sherman statement in an interview with Bolt Prospects. From the interview:
BP: Does the fact that you and your brother were both drafted by Sarnia in the Canadian juniors change anything for you in regards to your commitment to the Wolverine program?

KQ: No, not at all. I have no intention of ever going to the OHL. I have nothing against the OHL, I just think college is better hockey because it's older, faster, and stronger. The OHL is not for me; I am a college kid and will stay that way. Especially heading to Michigan, there's no way I would ever want to leave. I respect the OHL and the kids in it. One of my best friends who I have played hockey with my whole life, Pat Kane, is in the OHL and I'm glad that's he's doing well. I just want the college experience both academically and athletically, and I am very excited to be a Wolverine before any kind of pro career.


It sounds like Kevin's brother Kyle won't be signing with Sarnia either. Sarnia's GM said it's a "longshot" that either Quick brother will play for Sarnia.

The Sting did manage to snag one college hockey prospect though. Clarkson commit Brent Sullivan signed with Sarnia.

Kitchener also held a mini-camp recently, and both Notre Dame commit Cam Fowler, and American Jeremy Morin didn't accept an invitation to participate. There's a number of different ways to spin that. You could take it as a good sign since both could have participated without losing their college eligibility, so it shows they have absolutely no interest. Or maybe they didn't want to travel since they were still in school. Or maybe they're just acting disinterested to get a better deal. I still think Fowler will end up at Notre Dame, and I have a feeling that Morin might end up signing with an OHL team.

I did receive word that Matt Duchene isn't necessarily guaranteed to sign with Brampton and give up his commitment to Michigan State. That doesn't necessarily mean he's decided one way or another. It's just not a foregone conclusion that he'll sign with Brampton.

The Erie Otters desperately need a goalie, and they drafted two Americans in the OHL draft. One was Michigan recruit Bryan Hogan, who will definitely be coming to Michigan. The other was goalie Brandon Maxwell, who was offered a spot with the NTDP. Rumors indicate that Maxwell would be willing to sign with an OHL team if he could be the team's number one goalie. Erie would certainly be a situation where he'd at least get the opportunity to prove himself as the number one starter.

If Maxwell did sign with Erie, Florida native Clay Witt would likely take his spot on the NTDP roster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

at least quick has said all along he's committed to the michigan.there's way too many players playing head games with the ncaa and the ohl.