Friday, January 11, 2008

WCH Weekend Preview

It's Important Because I'm Involved: I was this week's guest for The Gauntlet over at RWD. It's long, so good luck reading it. Also, I can only assume that post got a 'Hotties' tag because I was involved.

Thursday Night Pre-Game Movie: Mallrats. "Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, "the Whale," they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime." That's the greatest monologue about the game of hockey ever written.

Friday Afternoon Pre-Game Song: Sudbury Saturday Night by Stompin' Tom Connors. In honor of Canada's recent World Juniors gold medal.

Games I'd Want to See If I Had Unlimited Funds: St. Cloud's home and home series with Minnesota. I almost picked Notre Dame's home and home series with Michigan State, but I'm not as much of a fan of Sunday hockey. Plus, who could pass up the opportunity to see people throw stuff at Gopher players and fans?


Controversial Play That a WCHA Official Will Probably Screw-Up:
It's the first full slate of the second half of the year in the WCHA. In a normal year, the intensity really gets turned up in the second half of the year. This year, with everyone sitting at about the .500 mark, it should be even crazier. I'm fairly confident we'll see at least one fight somewhere this weekend.


Cliche Arena Song of the Week:
Louie, Louie Unintelligble at any speed, especially when played by certain pep bands.

Picks to Click
Last Week: Ryan Duncan was WCHA Offensive Player of the Week. I think I deserve at least half credit for that.

Forward: Brock Trotter, Denver
Defense: Tyler Eckforad, Alaska
Goalie: Jordan Pearch, Notre Dame
Apples to Apples Card: Charging Rhinos

Something to Watch on Saturday Afternoon: Zach Galifianakis Interviews Michael Cera.

Pre/Post-Game Meal of the Week: BTB Burrito in Ann Arbor(or East Lansing, for the younger siblings out there). By far the leader in the take-out burrito industry. Plus, the guy that works the cash register at the Ann Arbor location is like some kind of crazy Burrito Wizard.


Arena Food of the Week:
A couple weeks ago, I was at a high school rink, and the concession stand offered hot apple cider. Both liking cider, and looking for a change of pace, I decided to try it. Unbeknownst to me, there is apparently such a thing as hot apple cider mix that is poured into hot water. It was awful. It was like drinking an apple Jolly Rancher, which may sound interesting, but it gets old really quickly.

Wisdom of Michael Scott:"And, even though we're still a family here at Dunder-Mifflin, families grow. And, at some point, the daddy can't take a bath with the kids anymore. I am upper management, and it would be inappropriate for me to take a bath with Pam, as much as I might want to."


Predictions For You Compulsive Gambling-Types That Have to Bet


Gambletron 2000's Pick of the Week: Friday Night- St. Cloud 684 Minnesota 0

Smooth Jimmy Apollo's 52% Lock of the Week: Saturday Night- Sunday- Notre Dame 3 Michigan State 2

The George Costanza Special(A prediction that is the exact opposite of every instinct and inclination I have): Miami sweeps Nebraska-Omaha

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work w/ Mallrats as this week's movie!!! That definately makes up for your equating Alice in Chains to Cheryl Crow in anyway, shape or form, a few weeks back.

Anonymous said...

actually it was 3-1 SCSU of there Gophers....Chris you're a fucking idiot.... you were off but a ton.... so fuck u!

Unknown said...

I think Schmidt is going to have some 'splainin to do about the clock situation at the end of the Wisc/DU game. Sure as heck looked like that goal went in with .5 to spare.

Anonymous said...

Step outside the WCHA once in a while to learn the names of players. It's Jordan Pearce and Tyler Eckford.

Anonymous said...

Roe is a god for St. Cloud State. And Lucia continues to bask in his ineptness. But I hear he has a plan to get the Gophers into the post season.....honestly. If only it meant he was resigning........