Thursday, October 12, 2006

Swede Commits to Michigan

Michigan's Rivals.com Hockey Board, The Yost Post, announced today that Michigan got a commitment from Carl Hagelin, a forward from the Swedish National U20. He's a late '88 birthdate, or roughly four years older than Michigan's most recent recruit, and is 5'10" 160 lbs.

Hagelin plays for the Sodertalge U20 team in the Swedish Superelit league. I'll admit that I don't know a whole lot about that league, but he averaged about a point per game in that league last year, and has scored a point per game so far this year, so that can't be all bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This should be interesting. Either the kid is good or at least knows English :) I remember Red talking on his show a year or two ago about recruiting and was asked about recruiting overseas. He wasn't a big fan of it based off his experience with Anton Fedorov because Fed didn't really speak any English so it was hard to communicate with him in practice, games, and even off the ice. So, I'm guessing the coaching staff must really like this kid to go for it.

Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken I believe English is taught in Sweden's schools, so I don't think that's a problem at all.