Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Minnesota High School State Tourney Predictions

I figured I might as well give this another shot and give my thoughts and wild-ass guesses on these games. Full DECC also had a great preview of all the games.

We'll start with Class A:

Mankato East vs. Little Falls

WAG: I think Little Falls will start the game a little faster since they played at the X last year, while East is making their first trip to the tourney. Little Falls also probably has a little more talent, but I've got a funny feeling about East's chances. Maybe I'm caught up in the hype, but they've played great hockey over the past couple games and always seem to find a way to get it done. I'll take Mankato East in a very close one, possibly in overtime.

St. Thomas Academy vs. Orono

WAG: I'm perhaps a little skeptical of Orono since they qualified for the tournament as the third seed in their bracket, but didn't face either of the higher seeded teams in their bracket. St. Thomas Academy has shown the ability to play great hockey this weekend and have already beaten Orono 4-0 earlier this year at the Schwan's Cup. I'll take the Tommies.

Duluth Marshall vs. Blake

WAG: Marshall looks to be a very good hockey team and could be one of the favorites to win the whole tournament. But I'm going to pick an upset, and say Kent Patterson steals the win for Blake.

Hermantown vs. Thief River Falls

WAG: Hermantown won the earlier meeting this year by a score of 9-0. I don't think it will be a blowout like that, but I think Hermantown will prevail. TRF forward Mike Forney will be playing in front of a ton of scouts with a chance to earn himself a first round draft pick this summer.

Hermantown vs. St. Thomas Academy

WAG: I love that STA plays a more wide-open game, but once again, I'll take Hermantown.

Mankato East vs. Blake

WAG: I think East's magic runs out here against the more talented metro area team. Blake wins easily.

Hermantown vs. Blake

WAG: I'll take Hermantown to win the whole thing.

And for Class AA

Lakeville North vs. Blaine

WAG: Lakeville has lost all three of their first round games in school history. I don't expect that to change. I think Blaine moves on.

Hill-Murray vs. Minnetonka

WAG: I really like Minnetonka's chances in this one. Emotion and momentum should play a huge role in these games and I think the Skippers have got a ton of that on their side. That said, I don't have the guys to pick against Hill-Murray. I think Hill-Murray wins in overtime.

Cretin-Derham Hall vs. Eagan

WAG: Again, Eagan is riding momentum and emotion after making their first ever state tournament, but I really like Cretin's team. I think CDH wins the game

Grand Rapids vs. Roseau

WAG: The two non-metro teams on the AA side meet in the first round. This should be a great game to cap off the day. I'll pick Roseau to win.

Hill-Murray vs. Roseau

WAG: This tournament has been Hill-Murray's to lose ever since Holy Angels faltered. I'll stick with the safe pick and take the heavy favorites.

Cretin-Derham Hall vs. Blaine

WAG: I think CDH wins in a close one.

Hill-Murray vs. Cretin-Derham Hall

WAG: Hill-Murray has already beaten CDH pretty easily this season. I don't think the pressure of a state championship will change that result.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you're going with the all-private school slate of title game, huh? ......

God forbid! Oh how I hope you're wrong.

Sean from South St. Paul

Anonymous said...

Oops, except for that whole Hermantown thing, of course .... sorry

Go Hawks then

Anonymous said...

As was Greyeagle pointed out on USCHO, I messed up on my preview, St. Thomas Academy goes by "Cadets", not Tommies.

Anonymous said...

I feel bad for TRF and Michael Forney. TRF worked their butts off and even had a lead going into the third, IIRC. Forney got injured in front of a ton of scouts. That definitely hurts.