Friday, January 20, 2006

WCH's Quote of the Week: Sit Down and Shut Up

What exactly is the point of handing out a weekly award on a monthly basis? I don't know. I guess it makes the award all that more honorable/dubious since you've really gotta grab my attention to get it.

Anyway, the runaway winner for this week happens to be North Dakota athletic director Tom Buning.

North Dakota's Ralph Englestad Arena is a beautiful arena. So beautiful, in fact, it is almost like a church, which is exactly what Buning wants apparently. While addressing a group of students at a meeting this week, Buning dropped this quote about student behavior at games:

"I'd like to say I don't want to hear words here that I wouldn't hear in church, but I'd be naive," Buning said."


To be fair, I've heard that Buning does attend St. Alban's Church of the Holy Sieve, so the students do have at least a little leeway.

This is the downside of building a huge, privately-owned arena for your team. When some of the higher paying parisioners complain, they usually get their way. That's why North Dakota students will be banned from being able to stand while the puck is in play. It's a shame when college hockey stops being about the students.

The most likely solution is that the students at North Dakota will get moved to the end of the arena, rather than their current seats along the sideline. They shouldn't be punished like that for being devoted fans, but that's usually the way things work when money becomes the main goal of a program.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember back before the new REA was being built that many North Dakota fans were saying the atmosphere at the new arena wouldn't suffer at all compared to the old REA. Those people look awfully naive these days.

Anonymous said...

It still amazes me that a student section wasn't considered in the design process for the new Ralph. In the Kohl Center, the only part of the arena that doesn't have suites of some sort at the top of the lower bowl is where the student section is, so standing causes no one any harm.

Just my two cents, (and I haven't had a chance to visit the Ralph yet) but everything about the arena and the pissing match with the students just screams 'nuveau riche' (sp?) to me.

I hate to see the ND students get hosed in the process, but NoDak had this one coming to them...