Friday, October 14, 2005

USCHO, You've been Punk'd

First off, yes, this is an MGoBlog-esque mainstream media rant, even though I don't think anything having to do with college hockey can really be considered "mainstream." Second, yes, I really do like the work of Paula Weston and some of the other USCHO staff writers. Finally, yes, if those Detroit-bashing idiots at INCH had pulled this, I probably would be harsher.

That said, if you read this week's league previews on uscho.com, you might have noticed that both CCHA columnist Paula Weston and Hockey East columnist Dave Hendrickson both made mention of a bench-clearing brawl at the Northern Michigan intra-squad scrimmage. There's only one problem...

It never happened.

The famous Northern Michigan fan group, The Puckheads, were in their usual inebriated state after the intrasquad and decided it would be funny to start a thread on USCHO's message board talking about a fake fight at the game that night. Apparently most of the people who read that thread, including the USCHO staff, bought the story.

Of course, if USCHO had done any sort of research into the story, they would have realized it was completely false. I thought the story sounded odd, so I contacted someone at Northern Michigan and was informed it was a Puckhead prank. Simple enough.

So there you have it. Western College Hockey: 1 USCHO: 0

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paula Weston also wins Morbo's Scum of the Week for saying in the U of M preview article that "Sauer looked less than stellar in exhibition play, allowing three goals on 20 shots to Toronto", when in fact Sauer had a shut out, and it was Noah Ruden that let in 2 (not 3) goals during the third period.

Anonymous said...

I’ve been researching the subject voip voice message and found your site to be resourceful. Although it may not be supporting my USCHO, You've been Punk'd project, it certainly does provide a fine service and got my attention while I was searching for voip voice message related information. With a fine site like this one and belonging to Blogger, I’m sure you’ll achieve your goals. Thanks for reading this.

Anonymous said...

My visit to your site, Blogger, was the results of the phone broadcasting search for information regarding the subject USCHO, You've been Punk'd. Even though some of the articles on the site may not support the phone broadcasting project, I must say, it’s an informational and very interesting site and its content will benefit many. Thank you for reading my comment.